• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I joined the cult. I have a 13 mini in hand, and the pixel is going away.

Wasn't crazy about the new pixels, wanted to reward apple for offering a small phone (and encourage them with my $$$ to keep doing so), and might want an apple watch. Biggest reason though was probably that my work email/calendar sucks on android because IT forces us to use some ****** 3rd party email app.

On iOS, you can just use the standard Mail/Calendar apps...I got tired of losing track of things because I couldn't see all of my calendars in one place.

Any pro tips? Must have apps? Been a long time since I've really used an iphone.
Nice! I use an iPhone 12 for work, it's very smooth, no complaints at all. The attention to detail on the hardware is great. Even the little lightning connector slot is color matched to the phone.

I don't use it with a case and have dropped it a few times, holds up really well.

Which Pixel are you moving from?
Last year I went from a Pixel 3 XL to the Galaxy S20 5G after non stop hardware/battery issues on the Pixels 1 and 3. Thinking of dropping back to Pixel 5, I miss the camera software that much, but do not really like the Pixel 6 redesign.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any pro tips? Must have apps? Been a long time since I've really used an iphone.
If you're near an Apple Store, they do free classes on specifics like the iPhone.
There's usually a Sephora close by as well...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! I use an iPhone 12 for work, it's very smooth, no complaints at all. The attention to detail on the hardware is great. Even the little lightning connector slot is color matched to the phone.

I don't use it with a case and have dropped it a few times, holds up really well.

Which Pixel are you moving from?
Last year I went from a Pixel 3 XL to the Galaxy S20 5G after non stop hardware/battery issues on the Pixels 1 and 3. Thinking of dropping back to Pixel 5, I miss the camera software that much, but do not really like the Pixel 6 redesign.

Moving from the 3 (which I never had any problems with). The 13 mini has *almost* as much screen as the 3 despite being physically smaller. If you factor in the fact that Android perpetually dedicates the bottom of the screen to nav buttons, I think you actually come out ahead in total day-to-day screen space (although it is noticeably slightly narrower).

The 6 is bigger than I'd like. It also got rid of the rear fingerprint reader which I now realize I used a TON (unlock/wake the phone instead of the button, swipe down to see notifications, swipe down again for quick settings). My index finger is going crazy with muscle memory on the iphone trying to get that stuff to happen. My wife still has the old SE, so this is my first time using an iphone with no buttons at all.

I probably will end up going with a case though. The mini is so small that adding a case won't matter much, and I don't really like how it sits on a table with the camera bump. I used to be a caseless crusader, but my last 2 phones had one and I really liked the fabric case Google made for the pixel 3.

edit: mostly because because I worry about the new iphone being too slippy when riding on a chairlift/using it with gloves/etc. Do a lot of skiing and biking with my phone these days.

If you're near an Apple Store, they do free classes on specifics like the iPhone.
There's usually a Sephora close by as well...

Ok, no way in hell am I going to a free class on how to use an iphone with a bunch of old boomers. I asked for pro tips, not phones for dummies.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moving from the 3 (which I never had any problems with). The 13 mini has *almost* as much screen as the 3 despite being physically smaller. If you factor in the fact that Android perpetually dedicates the bottom of the screen to nav buttons, I think you actually come out ahead in total day-to-day screen space (although it is noticeably slightly narrower).

The 6 is bigger than I'd like. It also got rid of the rear fingerprint reader which I now realize I used a TON (unlock/wake the phone instead of the button, swipe down to see notifications, swipe down again for quick settings). My index finger is going crazy with muscle memory on the iphone trying to get that stuff to happen. My wife still has the old SE, so this is my first time using an iphone with no buttons at all.

I probably will end up going with a case though. The mini is so small that adding a case won't matter much, and I don't really like how it sits on a table with the camera bump. I used to be a caseless crusader, but my last 2 phones had one and I really liked the fabric case Google made for the pixel 3.

edit: mostly because because I worry about the new iphone being too slippy when riding on a chairlift/using it with gloves/etc. Do a lot of skiing and biking with my phone these days.

Ok, no way in hell am I going to a free class on how to use an iphone with a bunch of old boomers. I asked for pro tips, not phones for dummies.

I miss that rear fingerprint reader! What a great design. Well, I miss it on the S20 at least, which has a fairly inaccurate screen based fingerprint reader. Also had the fabric case on the 3 XL, durable and cleaned up nicely. Now just a thin clear TPU case, and iPhone is naked.

On the iPhone I missed the home button fp reader (went from 8 Plus to 12) but, masks aside, the facial recognition is bulletproof and I no longer miss that button.

I like the latest iPhone 13 almost enough to have one as my personal phone. but carrying two phones is bad enough, I am not carrying two of the (almost) same damn phone.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious what good messenger or briefcase fits the 16 inch Macbook Pro? I did a search through all the forums and I'm trying to see what others have used that can fit the monster 16 inch.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always assumed most of those autocorrect fails were either fake or total idiots.

But since switching to iPhone, I have noticed that Apple’s autocorrect is very aggressive and does a lot of unexpected **** (and won’t let me type ****), especially with gestures/swype typing. Android felt more consistent. Worst is when it goes back and changes the previous word based on the next word you type.

It also behaves strangely on this forum. Haven’t quite pinned down why, but this forum acts weird on iOS mobile when it comes to editing longer posts.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** is shot.....******* is ducking.

But since I use those words so much, I'm onto the game and Tim no longer puts one by me...

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always assumed most of those autocorrect fails were either fake or total idiots.

But since switching to iPhone, I have noticed that Apple’s autocorrect is very aggressive and does a lot of unexpected **** (and won’t let me type ****), especially with gestures/swype typing. Android felt more consistent. Worst is when it goes back and changes the previous word based on the next word you type.

It also behaves strangely on this forum. Haven’t quite pinned down why, but this forum acts weird on iOS mobile when it comes to editing longer posts.
Turn off autocorrect?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In for the second-gen AirPods Pro with better sound and noise cancellation -- use those almost every day.

Camera improvements on the iPhone 14 Pro Max probably also mean an upgrade. Turning the camera/face scanner cutout into a UI element is really quite clever and very Appley.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In for the second-gen AirPods Pro with better sound and noise cancellation -- use those almost every day.

Camera improvements on the iPhone 14 Pro Max probably also mean an upgrade. Turning the camera/face scanner cutout into a UI element is really quite clever and very Appley.
I'm probably due for the phone, since mine's an 11.
Maybe the new rugged watch because I'm super, super rugged.
Not the AirPods though, because they don't seal. **** that noise...

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think I might get the 14 pro, but not the Max. Max is too big to fit in my pocket

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking that I should try the Apple 'ecosystem' and get a laptop, iphone and maybe even a watch. I use a mac mini as desktop which works fine. I use a windows laptop mostly for maximum compatibility with powerpoint lectures. I use a Fold 3 phone which is fine even though I wish the S pen had a silo in the phone like the old Note phones. There's nothing much about the new iphone that tells me that now is finally the time to make the switch.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that I should try the Apple 'ecosystem' and get a laptop, iphone and maybe even a watch. I use a mac mini as desktop which works fine. I use a windows laptop mostly for maximum compatibility with powerpoint lectures. I use a Fold 3 phone which is fine even though I wish the S pen had a silo in the phone like the old Note phones. There's nothing much about the new iphone that tells me that now is finally the time to make the switch.
I only have an Apple Watch and iPhone, but it’s definitely more refined than Android. I had the iPhone, iPhone 4, iPhone 5 and then went to Samsung Notes until I got the iPhone 12. I’ll probably ever go back because the Apple Watch alone is great. It syncs with my Peloton and I can take it out on runs without carrying my phone. I sometimes use the watch with earbuds and don’t use the phone when I’m out on the weekends.

I still prefer Windows over Mac because I like to occasionally game. iPad is overpriced for what I’d use it for, which is why I just jailbroke an Amazon fire tablet and installed Android OS on it.

AirPod Pros are great for phone calls, but their audio quality isn’t up to par with other TWS headphones. They’re great if you taking calls all day. I ordered the Apple Watch Ultra and 14 Max Pro as my current devices are 3 years old and I want 5G and better watch functions.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads