• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Wednesday forum pals. Despite the peer pressure, I am side stepping WTW for plain toes.

IMG_3617.jpg

Satoman1

Reaction score
Not my listing. Do you think these are really J&M or is that a dropped in footbed logo? Hand written model numbering.
J&M do made shoes for Frank Brothers but I think the Aristocraft line only appeared since late 60s and early 70s. Perhaps the footbed was replaced by J&M itself.

Last edited:

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my listing. Do you think these are really J&M or is that a dropped in footbed logo? Hand written model numbering.
💯 J&M. Lots of private label Frank Bros. By J&M, might be a rebuild with those sockliners?

Satoman1

Reaction score
Maybe vintage violation. My last 2023 shoes (Lunar calendar, 8 days until the new year), C&J for PRL picked fresh on my way back home after the last day of work before the New Year holidays.

MTXX_MR20240201_160556586.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals.

IMG_3618.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dack’s kudu wholecuts today…
IMG_5542.jpeg
IMG_5543.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5542.jpeg
    IMG_5542.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 9

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck using a bench grinder to polish shoes? I have some cotton buffing wheels, but have been trying to find some horsehair wheels to no avail.

Anyone else have better luck?

actionjbone

Reaction score
Wow, can't believe I haven't been on SF in a few years.

When I started working from home full time (you can probably guess why), I almost completely stopped wearing shoes. I had one pair of modern J&M beaters I wore on rare occasions I left the house.

A couple months ago I started feeling the itch again. Started cleaning up my collection and wearing them again - I might not be going to an office every day like I used to, but I missed wearing the things!

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe I haven't been on SF in a few years.

When I started working from home full time (you can probably guess why), I almost completely stopped wearing shoes. I had one pair of modern J&M beaters I wore on rare occasions I left the house.

A couple months ago I started feeling the itch again. Started cleaning up my collection and wearing them again - I might not be going to an office every day like I used to, but I missed wearing the things!
You can though. I work from home and do and it makes a world of difference for me.

actionjbone

Reaction score
You can though. I work from home and do and it makes a world of difference for me.
Thought about it, but I'm really not a shoes-inside person.

I've got a couple good pairs of house slippers, but shoes are for outside only.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess the stars and planets are aligning again. I was lamenting to myself that I had all of the vintage shoes I would likely find. Being a EEE guy tends to ace me out from many makers and I now have examples of all the Florsheims and a few other brands that fit. Lo and behold, I stumbled across a pair of French Shriner shell PTBs in my size. No, I certainly do not need them, but I try not to slap fate in the face when my number does occasionally come up. I guess they are pretty unusual as they did not even appear in the shellcordovanmodel.com list. (I promptly added them to the list using my top secret access to such important places.) VCleat.com says French Shriner stopped production in 1971. Pics and comments when they arrive.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 16.02.39.png

Last edited:

actionjbone

Reaction score
Interesting pair of Florsheims popped up on Ebay. Wonder how the quality is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/176221007060?hash=item2907972cd4:g:EbMAAOSwyr9lvb~A
The date code is way too blurry to read, sadly. So it's hard to say for certain when they were made, but based on the style, maybe late '70s? Possibly '80s, but that strikes me as more of a '70s style.

I'd be scared to wear them without many rounds of thorough conditioning. Those look like they sat in a retail box for years, and in who knows what storage condition.

Other folks here are more qualified to narrow the date. But I do see a couple of manufacturing flaws, so these seem like "good but not peak."

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member