• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

kashmir

Reaction score
For context - I stream random shows that are basically just background for my workday. So, right now, since new shows right now either require require full attention or are just unwatchable, I've been streaming Grey's Anatomy.

Listening to Snow Patrol having a millennial moment

Stream of consciousness: Saddam Hussein, Yes We Can, Tumblr, 3x1 weave raw selvedge jeans, Tom from Myspace, Thom Browne., Gastropubs, heritage brands, Nudie jeans, The Killers Hedi Slimane Dior, SXSW, socially acceptable Kanye, Post-racial.
also gotye and temper trap for time capsule songs (I havent heard them played for a looong time, unlike say the killers)

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To @conceptual 4est and anyone else who recommended Kamakura shirts, thank you! I received my OCBDs this week and they’re amazing. The New York slim fit in 41 is such a nice fit on me. The collar could use another 0.5” if I’m going to wear them much with a tie. So, maybe I’ll do a few MTO spread collar shirts.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a free day in Tokyo, any reccomendations for usd clothing stores there? I'll stop at the Kendall stores..

deadbilly

Reaction score
I'm 5 years out of date but Shimokitazawa had a bunch of vintage stores in a tight group. For me/techwear I liked the Safari / e-safari.co.jp shops in Koenji (which was an area I liked anyway)- they had 4 stores in Koenji, each with a different focus. I went to every single 2nd hand store I could fit in and came to the realisation I should have just searched rakuten/yahoo and then head to that particular store.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the big realization I had when I went to Japan is the avg vintage/2nd hand shop there leans very heavily to American clothes and I did not go to Japan to look at stuff I could see at random Buffalo exchanges.

Kindall is upscale but it's more women and handbag focused. Men will have one rack of lux euro designers and stuff like Canada Goose so imo not worth it unless it's literally next door.

Vintage areas like shimokitazawa are again super American focused with very old rummage sale vibes so unless that's exactly what you want I don't know if it's worth it.

I actually liked stopping by the 2nd Street store chain locations. They are big, clean, in every popular Tokyo neighborhood and have sections specially labelled for Japanese designers which is what I was looking for. Not super cheap though.

I really liked a store called 10tow in Shibuya. Not thrift cheap but all they stock is vintage yohji, cdg, and affiliated labels and prices were really good for that level of curation. These hyper specialized stores were imo what makes shopping in Japan great.

Enjoy the weak yen and enjoy Tokyo. If you like pizza at all I highly recommend pizza marumo which is near the kapital flagship. Top 3 pizza I've ever had as a guy who has had pizza all over NY and new haven. You can reserve online. If you're in Omotesando area I highly recommend tonkatsu.jp for lunch.

deadbilly

Reaction score
Yeah, good point about American focused. Now that I think about it, it was an unexamined assumption, some of it was novel to me because I'm not a USian.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not real. Just call them Americans, that's the correct demonym in English.
Any further debate of this should be taken to Current Events. fwiw, I am a Canadian, and I have no issue with the use of the term "American" to refer to citizens of the United States. I know that in Latin American Spanish, the neologism is used, and I'll use it when I am there, out of respect, same as in English, I will use the term American, for the same reason.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i'm an usian. i'm all about the US and not THEM.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Two more interesting specialty vintage stores that veer away from the standard American thrift shop stuff that come to mind:

https://archivestore.jp/ is amazing and is more like a gallery space with archival CdG, margiela, Raf, number nine, etc. but you can touch and handle and try it all on, if you like. Definitely a cool experience.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, alcohol! the source and the solution to all of life's problems.

ALKIE IS THE SOLULU FOR ALL MY DELULUS~~~
Pretty sure that it's a contributor, but hey, sure.

In random fashion thoughts, I am waiting for the Adidas Natase to have a moment. Pretty tired of Sambas.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lalanders