• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rhodia

Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does their clothing run small? Last year I ordered a Harrington jacket
in my regular jacket size, 44, and I could hardly close it. Admittedly,
I had put on some weight, but even the shoulders were tight. I did not
reorder. I found their refund procedure overly complicated and no one
ever picked up multiple calls.In contrast O'Connells, where I've never
actually bought anything, picks up the phone and will measure a trouser rise
in real time. The Andover Shop, the same.

CLH03

Reaction score
I don’t think you can really compare S&M to those other stores, though. 2 very different things. In my experience, the clothing probably does run “small/trimmer” than most places.

jellyroller

Reaction score

I have found that their sport coats / jackets run small. I'm a 40 but size up to 42 for S&M.

ElliotG

Reaction score
I’m a 42L literally everywhere else, but a 44L at Spier. C’est la vie

ElliotG

Reaction score
Nope. This one:

It's under "Neo Cut." But if you select "All Sportcoats" that one (and the Moon one) do not come up.
It’s like they are following this forum’s comments on how bad the new styling is and then trying to top themselves. “What if we put a model who’s 6’1” in a regular instead of a long and then put him in a pair of jeans from the Walmart factory store?”

SteveMc

Reaction score
View attachment 2180837
I thought Spier & Mackay could use some high praise in this forum. I've been wearing the new espadrilles around my house for the past several days. I find them to be light and airy and comfortable, and they look pretty good with jeans, chinos, and shorts. I bought them in my regular shoe size - 9 1/2. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for a classic, easy, and causal summer shoe.

Would you suggest sizing down half a size, If I typically down size for loafers?
Your picture makes it look like they are slightly roomy is it not?

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Would you suggest sizing down half a size, If I typically down size for loafers?
Your picture makes it look like they are slightly roomy is it not?

Was wondering the same. I bought similar ones from Castaner, in EU 43. Fit well. According to Spier these will be US 10. I wear US 9.5 for a snug fit (no heel slippage) in AE, Beerwick, Cobbler union and 10 in meermin (narrow toebox). I plan to get these in 10 when the ties are available

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
Was wondering the same. I bought similar ones from Castaner, in EU 43. Fit well. According to Spier these will be US 10. I wear US 9.5 for a snug fit (no heel slippage) in AE, Beerwick, Cobbler union and 10 in meermin (narrow toebox). I plan to get these in 10 when the ties are available

Interesting question. I do not feel like they are big on me. They have ore space in the upper section than my Soludos, but I still think the size is correct for me. For reference, I wear a size 10 in Soludos. Hope that helps.

tripreed

Reaction score
I just looked at the email about the new MTO shirt program and checked it out. It was a little unclear as to what the difference in between this and what they had been offering, which is, apparently, their MTM program. It looks like there is a $20 upcharge to go from MTO to MTM, which really only comes into play if you're wanting to alter any of the measurements from their basic sizing. So if their current sizes work well for you but you want to pick out your collar style/other details, it may be a good option.

I'm not sure about the pricing compared to competitors, though. Prices starting at $78 for MTO, which would mean starting at $98 for MTM. At that point, you're solidly in ProperCloth territory, who I view as sort of the gold standard of online custom shirts. Although I'm not sure I would say that PC is that much superior to SM in terms of quality, the PC interface is just so much better. Spier is quoting over 200 fabrics currently available, but it's kind of a mess if you're trying to view them. And while Spier's selection of collar styles seems to be expanded, I'm not sure the graphic representations are quite as valuable as the actual photographs that PC uses on their website.

ptfly

Reaction score
Pre-announcement email about new custom shirt program just dropped… I have so many questions and fears.

Sounds like they are eliminating the ability to enter specific measurements. E.g., “you can choose tucked or untucked length.” My preferred length is quite long, much longer than s&ms OTR length. So this whole thing may be a deal breaker for me. We‘ll just have to wait 3 days and see how the options actually work.

On the plus side, they mention adding numerous new fabric options

I just looked at the email about the new MTO shirt program and checked it out. It was a little unclear as to what the difference in between this and what they had been offering, which is, apparently, their MTM program. It looks like there is a $20 upcharge to go from MTO to MTM, which really only comes into play if you're wanting to alter any of the measurements from their basic sizing. So if their current sizes work well for you but you want to pick out your collar style/other details, it may be a good option.

I'm not sure about the pricing compared to competitors, though. Prices starting at $78 for MTO, which would mean starting at $98 for MTM. At that point, you're solidly in ProperCloth territory, who I view as sort of the gold standard of online custom shirts. Although I'm not sure I would say that PC is that much superior to SM in terms of quality, the PC interface is just so much better. Spier is quoting over 200 fabrics currently available, but it's kind of a mess if you're trying to view them. And while Spier's selection of collar styles seems to be expanded, I'm not sure the graphic representations are quite as valuable as the actual photographs that PC uses on their website.
My issue is I only see 100 fabrics. Most of the fabrics I had wanted to order aren't listed now but were a few days ago.
I am basically just paying an upcharge for a standard size they have eliminated. I need a 36" slv length only because of their shrinkage percentage. I normally wear 34/35 or 35 in all other dress shirt brands.

EdwardPatrick

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a collar type that will stay under the jacket lapels? I previously returned a shirt with the Classic Spread (C6), as the collar points were too short.

I'm particularly curious about the Italian Spread varieties (C13-C21).

Also, how different are the two Italian Button Down options (C22 vs C23)? I have a C22 and like it, but I'm considering going C23 for a custom shirt.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member